Fishing is an exciting outdoor activity that many people enjoy in Texas. The state boasts of numerous water bodies, including lakes, rivers, and streams, where anglers can catch various species of fish. However, before you can cast your line and hook, you need to have a valid fishing license. This article will provide you with all the information you need to know about fishing licenses in Texas.
Types of Fishing Licenses in Texas
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) issues different types of fishing licenses to residents and non-residents. The licenses are set up to cater to different categories of anglers, including:
Resident Fishing License
A resident fishing license is issued to individuals who live in Texas and have been residents for at least six months. The license permits the holder to fish in freshwater and saltwater in the state. The fee for a resident fishing license is $30, and it is valid for one year from the date of purchase.
Non-Resident Fishing License
Non-residents who wish to fish in Texas also need to obtain a fishing license. The fees for non-resident fishing licenses vary depending on the duration of the license. They include:
- 1-Day All-Water Fishing License – $16
- 5-Day All-Water Fishing License – $30
- Year-Long All-Water Fishing License – $58
Senior Resident Fishing License
Senior residents who are 65 years or older and have been residents of Texas for six months or more can obtain a reduced-price fishing license. The fee for a senior resident fishing license is $12, and it is valid for one year from the date of purchase.
Disabled Veteran Fishing License
Disabled veterans who are Texas residents can obtain a fishing license for free. The license is valid for one year from the date of purchase.
Combination Hunting and Fishing License
Anglers who also love to hunt can obtain a combination hunting and fishing license. The license allows the holder to fish and hunt in Texas. The fees for the combination license are:
- Resident – $47
- Non-Resident – $315
How to Obtain a Fishing License in Texas
You can purchase a fishing license in Texas in several ways, including:
- Online – You can visit the TPWD website and purchase a fishing license online. You will need to create a personal profile, select the type of license you want, and pay for it using a credit card.
- By Phone – You can call TPWD at (800) 895-4248 and purchase a fishing license over the phone. You will need to provide personal information and pay for the license using a credit card.
- In-Person – You can visit a TPWD office or a license retailer and purchase a fishing license in person. You will need to provide your personal details, choose the type of license you want, and pay for it using cash, check, or credit card.
Fishing in Texas is an enjoyable experience that requires anglers to have a valid fishing license. The cost of a license depends on the type of license and the residency status of the angler. The TPWD issues different types of fishing licenses to cater to different categories of anglers. Individuals can purchase a fishing license online, by phone, or in person. Get your fishing license today and enjoy the beautiful water bodies that Texas has to offer.